- With diabetes a leading cause of death in Mexico, two Rotary clubs in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, organized a conference to bring together medical professionals from both the United States and Mexico to address the issue.
- The Diabetes Conference in San Miguel, held 10-12 April, was Mexico’s first-ever bilingual conference on diabetes and the first organized entirely by Rotarians. The village, a popular tourist destination, has a sizable English-speaking population.
- More than 200 doctors and health care professionals took part in the event, educating health care providers on better detection and treatment of the disease.
- At least 300 members of the public attended sessions, conducted in both English and Spanish, raising awareness of diabetes, and ways to prevent its onset.
- Free diabetes testing and glucose monitoring devices were provided.