- Nearly 10,000 Korean Rotarians gathered on 2 September to pledge their commitment to reducing child mortality, the focus of RI President Dong Kurn Lee’s service emphases for 2008-09.
- “Together, we can save a child who is at the threshold of death,” Lee told the audience at the Kintex convention center in Ilsan, Korea.
- On behalf of the gathered Rotarians, Lee presented a check for W500 million (US$431,890) to two Korean organizations working to reduce child mortality, Korea Foundation for International Healthcare and Community Chest of Korea.
- The groups will match the funds with the goal of building a small hospital dedicated to mother and child care in Africa.
- Conference attendees spent the morning in a symposium on child mortality with medical and academic experts and a UNICEF representative.
- In the afternoon, Rotarians heard from the heads of several nongovernmental organizations, such as World Vision Korea