- On his 70th birthday, Bruno Steinhoff, of the Rotary Club of Westerstede,
Germany, demonstrated his dedication to children in South Africa.
- In lieu of typical gifts, the international businessman asked his colleagues and
friends to donate to a club project benefiting the country’s AIDS orphans.
- His prominence in the community helped him raise US$373,700.
- Under Steinhoff’s leadership, the project is providing education, food, and
medical treatment to 150 children living either in orphanages or with extended
family in Johannesburg’s Soweto township.
- The birthday donations will be used to help an additional 100 orphans and
provide more housing opportunities with the same high standard of care.
- This isn’t the first time Westerstede Rotarians have shown a heart for South
- With help from two Rotary Foundation Matching Grants, they’ve launched
successful projects with other Rotary clubs in Germany and South Africa to
provide equipment for a Cape Town children’s hospital and to furnish a Western
Cape youth home.